About CSNN: Frequently-Asked Questions
- Are holistic nutritionists regulated, or in the process of being regulated?
What would a regulation process look like?
- Holistic Nutritionists have been self-regulated for decades. According to the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care there are no plans or proposals for holistic nutritionists to become regulated. The Health Professions Regulatory Advisory Council, the body which would be responsible for investigating the feasibility of such regulation upon referral from the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, have not been requested by the Ministry to conduct such an investigation.
Does CSNN support regulation?
- According to the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, this type of regulation is a lengthy process that not only requires the government to be interested in regulating holistic nutritionists, but also requires holistic nutritionists, regardless of their designation or association affiliation, to have input into the form such regulation would take, including scope of practice, educational standards, degree of potential harm to the public and the like. The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care would seek input from the practitioners in the industry, from other affected health care professionals, from clients, from institutions and from regulators.
Why does CSNN focus on holistic nutrition in its Natural Nutrition program?
- Indeed CSNN would support holistic nutritionists becoming regulated in an appropriate manner, such as that described above for Ontario. However, as such regulation is unlikely, CSNN believes it is better to deal with the reality of our profession and encourage initiatives that facilitate recognition of holistic nutritionists in the health care industry.
Why has CSNN chosen to align with only certain associations in the industry?
- CSNN focuses on its expertise in holistic nutrition, so that students are encouraged to learn how to conduct themselves as practitioners within their scope of practice, which in turn protects them as practitioners plus protects the public from harm
- CSNN respects all health modalities, and acknowledges that to be a true herbalist, homeopath, naturopath, etc, and to practice these modalities safely and effectively, that one has to successfully complete years of comprehensive study in these fields at accredited natural health schools. CSNN offers information about these other health modalities in its practicums and in its Advanced Holistic Nutrition workshops, so that students develop an understanding of and learn how to work alongside complementary health care practitioners
What is unique about the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition compared to other holistic nutrition schools?
- CSNN has researched the holistic nutrition industry and has decided to align with associations that approach holistic nutrition industry standards in ways that we feel would benefit holistic nutritionists the most.
What is unique about CSNN’s Natural Nutrition diploma program?
- CSNN is the largest and leading holistic nutrition school in Canada which provides both classroom and online education formats.
- CSNN was the first holistic nutrition school to offer a practical science-based curriculum in the classroom.
- CSNN is dedicated to quality education and offers both a foundation Natural Nutrition diploma program plus Advanced Holistic Nutrition™ workshops.
- CSNN offers unique class scheduling in order to accommodate busy lifestyles.
- For your convenience, CSNN has 6 classroom locations in Ontario, plus classroom locations in Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Kelowna, Moncton, Nanaimo and Vancouver.
- CSNN publishes books only available at CSNN.
- As graduates of the largest holistic nutrition school in Canada, CSNN alumni are the most recognized and sought after in the industry.
- In its Natural Nutrition program CSNN focuses on its expertise in holistic nutrition, so that students are encouraged to learn how to conduct themselves as practitioners within their scope of practice, which in turn protects them as practitioners plus protects the public from harm.
- CSNN has been working with employers for over two decades and, as a result, employers look for CSNN graduates and students. CSNN students are able to gain practical experience along with employment.
What is unique about the delivery of CSNN’s Natural Nutrition program?
- Well-rounded holistic nutrition education, offering 17 foundation courses and a clinical component. Classrooms locations also offer on site practicums.
- R.H.N. and C.H.N./C.H.N.C. designations are exclusive to CSNN Graduates
- Leads to board certification by Canadian Association of Holistic Nutrition Professionals (CAHNPro) and National Association of Nutrition Professionals (NANP)* (*for those that have also completed AN106 and AN109).
- CSNN’s Natural Nutrition program has been reviewed and approved by several provincial government education ministries, plus by the National Association of Nutrition Professionals (NANP) in the United States.
How do I find out more about CSNN’s Natural Nutrition program?
- CSNN’s winning education formula transcends basic classroom hours and facilitates a deeper level of understanding through practice and application of holistic nutrition information. Other holistic nutrition programs may offer more classroom hours, but CSNN prefers to offer its students a focused, engaging, and practical science based program which is geared to training students to be effective holistic nutritionists in the industry. CSNN’s Natural Nutrition program is a comprehensive foundation program created for those who want more than nutritional information found in books, magazines, and media, and instead want to learn the practical tools needed to become a knowledgeable and credible holistic nutritionist.
When can I start the Natural Nutrition program?
- Contact the location you are interested in and make an appointment to receive a complimentary one-on-one information session and/or attend an open house.
- Make arrangements with your desired location to audit a class.
- Visit our online Natural Nutrition Program section.
- Request a free brochure.
What happens to my studies if I move?
- Classroom start dates are generally in March and in September; however, if you miss the start date you can join late if there is space available.
- With Online Education, you pick the start date!
Do I have to be a graduate of the Natural Nutrition program to take workshops leading to the Advanced Holistic Nutrition™ certificates?
- One of the advantages of studying at CSNN is the flexibility to complete your holistic nutrition education anywhere in the world. CSNN has multiple classroom locations in Canada, as well as an Online division. In the event of a move, students will have the option to transfer to another classroom location or to complete the program via Online Education.
What support system is available to CSNN graduates after they finish the Natural Nutrition program?
- CSNN graduates automatically qualify to take any Advanced Holistic Nutrition workshop
- Holistic Nutritionists and other health care practitioners are welcome to take CSNN's Advanced Holistic Nutrition certificates and workshops.
- For frequently-asked questions about our AHN Certificate Packages and AHN Workshops, click here.
- CSNN has a job board on its website for graduates, plus individual locations post job opportunities.
- Online Education has online networking and sharing of information, including job information.
- CSNN graduates qualify to participate in the Canadian Association of Holistic Nutrition Professionals (CAHNPro) job creation initiatives, and board certification exam for insurance and industry recognition purposes. CAHNPro assists members by helping them stay current with trends and research specific to the industry, by providing materials and professional information from successful holistic nutritionists, by providing a job search database, and by offering guidance and support in building a holistic nutrition business.
- CSNN has an active Alumni Association which hosts an annual Canadian Holistic Nutrition Conference, provides industry information to its members, creates networking groups and offers advertising venues for graduate holistic nutrition practices and other graduate businesses and endeavours.
- Current CSNN Alumni Association Members receive a 10% tuition discount on CSNN’s Advanced Holistic Nutrition™ workshops.